Creating and configuring a Managed Apple ID account and generating redemption codes (VPP codes)
The Apple Volume Purchase Program allows Speakap to publish our white label application for your organization. After configuration, employees are able to download the application for free using unique redemption codes in the Apple App Store.
This article will guide you through the process of creating and configuring a Managed Apple ID account that will allow you to generate redemption codes (VPP codes).
In order to create an Apple Business Manager account, you need the following information:
- An email address that is not yet associated with an Apple ID;
Please note: it is not possible to create a Managed Apple ID account with an email address linked to an existing Apple ID!
Please note: Each country has its own Apple App Store. Redemption codes (VPP codes) generated for the Dutch App Store cannot be used by users of the Belgian App Store, for example.
If you would like to make your organization's white label application available in multiple territories, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
- Your organization's basic details (like VAT number and address);
- Your organization's D-U-N-S number.
More information on how to request your organization's D-U-N-S number is provided in Section 1: Requesting a D-U-N-S Number.
D-U-N-S is a globally recognized system developed by Dun & Bradstreet (D&B). The D-U-N-S system allocates a unique identifier to companies.
Please request a D-U-N-S number on the following D&B link: Europe: https://www.altares.nl/onze-data/duns-nummer/ or USA: https://www.dnb.com/duns-number/get-a-duns.html.
How to request a D-U-N-S number
Enter the following information on https://europe.dnb.com/find-my-duns/:
- your first and last name;
- your email address;
- as reason for requesting your D-U-N-S Apple VPP account;
- the country your organization is located in.
Click Next > to go to the D-U-N-S number search and registration screen.
Please note: we use Speakap's D-U-N-S number and corporate information in this article.
Search for your organization using (at minimum) the organization name and click on the right record.
You will be taken to the confirmation screen. If you haven't landed on this screen yet, click Apply for a D-U-N-S® Number.
Click Confirm > to request the D-U-N-S number. You will receive the D-U-N-S number in an email on the email address you provided in the first screen:
Complete all the fields in the 'Enroll Your Organization' screen:
- Organization Name
- D-U-N-S Number (explained under section 1 of this article)
- Phone number (for sms confirmation)
- Time Zone & Language
- Your contact details
- Verification contact details: this person will be contacted by Apple to verify that you are indeed authorized to create an Apple Business Manager Account
- Click 'Continue':
You will now receive an email from Apple that states that your enrolment is in review, a proces that may take up to 5 days:
- During the review of your Managed Apple ID account, Apple will reach out to the verification contact you provided under organization info to confirm that you are authorized to create this account for your organization.
- After confirming, your verification contact will receive an email to finalize your authorization by clicking on the blue button:
- After completing the fields in the screenshot below your verification contact is able to finalize this step:
- Once your verification contact has finalized your authorization, you will receive an email that states that your enrolment has been approved:
- Click on 'Get Started' in the email you received regarding the approval of your enrolment and subsequently click on 'Create a Managed Apple ID:
- And fill in the form:
- Verify your account with the code you receive on your email:
- Verify your account with the code you received on your phone:
- After completing the registration of your Managed Apple ID account, login on https://business.apple.com/
- Click on 'Apps and books' in the left column, select that you are required to pay taxes, fill in your VAT number and click continue:
- Apple will verify your VAT number, a process that can take up to 5 days:
- As soon as Apple has wrapped up the process of validating your VAT number, your screen should look like this:
- Click on 'Settings' and subsequently 'Device Purchases' and send screenshots of the following page to Speakap:
- Your name
- Organization DEP Customer ID & Your Organization name (Your Organization's name as stated in the screen in your account - see screenshot)
After we receive the screenshot of the Organization DEP Customer ID, we can submit your Whitelabel App.
Only start with this section after Speakap confirms submitting your White Label app.
When the tab Custom Apps tab is not visible yet, you will need to enable it first.
- Login to your Managed Business account;
- Click on Settings;
- Click on Enrolment Information
- In the section Custom Apps - click on Enable.
At this moment you will be able to see the Custom apps tab below section Content
- Click on the tab: 'Custom Apps' below section Content
- Select 'Redemption Codes'
- Fill in the desired amount of redemption codes in the box below Quantity. We recommend to start with 5000 codes;
- Click 'Get':
- Click 'OK'. Note: though it states you are confirming a 'purchase' there are no costs involved.
After completing this step you should receive an email on the email address that is linked to your Managed Apple ID that confirms this 'Purchase'. Please note that it might take a few hours before you receive the email:
Once you have received the email confirmation of your purchase, login to your Managed Apple ID again on: https://business.apple.com/
- Click on 'Settings'
- Select 'Apps and Books'
- Click 'View'
- Click on 'Download Redemption Codes'; an automatic excel (.xls) download will start.
- Send an email to email@example.com with the containing the following information:
- Your organization name
- Name of your Speakap network
- Your name
- The .xls file you downloaded in the previous step
After we receive the redemption codes we can enable the app distribution.
To sum up, we would like to receive the following information in an email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Name of your network / organization;
- The Organization DEP Customer ID as explained under step 7 of section 2.3 (Setting up your Managed Apple ID)
- The redemption codes downloaded under step 6 of Section 2.5 (Retrieve Redemption Codes (VPP codes))
- Section 1: Request D-U-N-S number;
- Section 2.1: Providing (basic) information to start with registration process
- Section 2.2: Verification of your contact details by Apple
- Section 2.3: Setting up a Managed Apple ID account
- Section 2.4: Track down Organzation DEP Customer ID to share with Speakap
- Section 2.5: 'Purchase' Redemption codes (VPP codes)
- Section 2.6: Retrieve Redemption Codes (VPP codes) and send to Speakap